Notice of Race
Results & News Entries Contact Us Race Archives
Amendment #1 08/08/2008
Amendment #2 08/08/2008
NOTICE OF RACE
The Officers and Members of the Ida Lewis Yacht Club invite you to participate in the forth Ida Lewis Distance Race starting Friday, August 15th 2008.
The start will be in the East Passage Narragansett Bay with the first Warning Signal at 1500.
Entry forms are available online at ILDistancerace.org and through the Ida Lewis Yacht Club website or by contacting the Ida Lewis Yacht Club dock office at (401) 846-1969.
This race has been accepted as a qualifying event for the Northern Ocean Racing Trophy (NORT) (IRC), the Double-handed North Ocean Racing Trophy (DNORT) (IRC) and the New England Lighthouse Series (PHRF). Details of these series can be found at www.stamfordyc.com.
Race headquarters will be located at the Ida Lewis Yacht Club, Wellington Avenue Newport, RI and manned throughout the course of the race
1. RULES: The Racing Rules of Sailing 2005-2008 will apply except as any of these are altered by this Notice of Race of by the Sailing Instructions, and any subsequent amendments.
1.1 For IRC boats - IRC Rules Parts 1, 2 and 3 shall apply.
1.2 For PHRF divisions - the current PHRF Regulations of the Narragansett Bay PHRF Association.
1.3 FOR ALL BOATS, the Minimum Equipment Recommendations for category 3 of the International Sailing Federation Special Regulations Governing Offshore and Oceanic Racing. "Category 3", including US SAILING Prescriptions.
2. ELIGIBILITY: The ILYC Distance Race is open to the following boats:
2.1 SINGLE HULLED VESSELS with a minimum LOD of 28 feet with auxiliary power, boats racing under PHRF shall also have a rating of 128 or lower.
2.2 DOUBLE HANDED class must meet the specific safety requirements noted in this Notice of Race.
(a) Handicap Ratings - Double-handed entries will sail with PHRF NB ratings, administered by the handicap review committee of PHRF NB. The finishing position in the double-handed class(es) in the regatta will be determined based on PHRF Double-handed boats wishing to qualify for the DNORT may submit current IRC certificates and will be scored as IRC in addition to PHRF.
(b) Radar Reflectors - Radar Reflectors are to be used at all times during the race on double-handed entries.
2.3 In addition, a boat must be owned by a member of US Sailing, ISAF, or a yacht club affiliated (directly or indirectly) with one or more of those associations.
3. SAFETY: Boats must comply with the 2005-2007 ISAF Offshore Committee Special Regulations, category 3, including US SAILING prescriptions or other standards listed in this Notice of Race.
3.1 It shall be the sole and inescapable responsibility of the owner and master of each boat to declare that she is seaworthy in hull, rig and gear and that she is properly equipped and competently manned and sailed.
3.2 Boats must carry sufficient fuel aboard at the start to provide a cruising range under power of 75 nautical miles.
3.3 A Finish Declaration and Participant Waiver will be provided each entrant. The Race Committee must receive the Participant Waiver signed by all crew members by 1800 on August 14th, 2008.
3.4 Some means must exist for supporting the boom in the event of a sudden failure of the mainsail. Topping lifts or solid vangs are acceptable for this purpose.
4. ENTRIES: The Entry Form is available online or from the Ida Lewis Yacht Club. It must be completed, signed by the owner or a representative and received by the Ida Lewis Yacht Club no later than August 8th, 2008.
4.1 A valid PHRF (Narragansett Bay PHRF) or IRC certificate and the entry fee of $200 must accompany the Entry Form for US Sailing Members, $215 for non-members.
4.2 No refunds will be given after July 25, 2008. Make checks payable to the "Ida Lewis Yacht Club."
5.1 A valid IRC rating certificate must be on file with the Ida Lewis Yacht Club Race Committee by 1730 on August 14, 2008. No alteration of a boat's TCC will be permitted after this date, except as a result of a rating protest, or to correct rating office errors.
5.2 PHRF Boats will be scored based on ratings assigned by PHRF association of Narragansett Bay.
5.3 A valid signed PHRF Certificate or a special event rating application must be on file with the Ida Lewis Yacht Club Race Committee and the PHRF association of Narragansett Bay by 1730 on the 14th of August 2008.
5.4 PHRF Spinnaker and Non-Spinnaker Divisions. Special classes will be formed at the discretion of the Race Committee. Non-Spinnaker Classes must have 4 or more entries. Classes will be formed under the divisions based upon the number of entries.
6. COURSE 1-The Montauk Course-
7. COURSE 2 - The Race Committee may designate an alternative.
8. SAILING INSTRUCTIONS: A representative from each boat shall report to the Administration desk located at the Ida Lewis Yacht Club between the hours of 1700-1800 hrs on Thursday August 14th to register their vessel and receive the Sailing instructions, skipper's packets, and scratch sheets.
8.1 Sailing instructions will also be available on the Ida Lewis website.
9. AWARDS: Awards will be presented to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd corrected finishers in each class as well as perpetual trophies for overall division winners and 1st yacht to finish.
9.1 Trophies will be presented at the awards ceremony at the Ida Lewis Yacht Club on Sunday the 17th of August at 1700 hrs. All participants in the race as well as their families and guests are invited to attend.
10. SCHEDULE OF EVENTS: